Advert for Team Leader – Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law
OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. Our vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions, and practices of an open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA’s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 11 southern African countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these eleven countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA seeks to recruit for the following key position:
Team Leader – Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster
The Team Leader will provide leadership to the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster. The incumbent will be responsible for building and managing the cluster team in the Regional Office and Country Offices. He/she will develop and align the cluster’s strategy with OSISA’s overall strategy. The Team Leader will play a key role in building strategic partnerships with external and internal stakeholders. S/he will be responsible for overseeing and managing staff within the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster. The incumbent will oversee the management of a portfolio of grants within his/her cluster, ensuring adherence to policies and procedures. S/he will ensure integration and synergies within and across programmes, contained within the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster. He/she will oversee the development and implementation of the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster strategies and work plans. S/he will oversee the management and delivery of the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster’s budget. The incumbent will also be responsible for managing shared frameworks relevant to the cluster.
- Provides strategic direction to the programmes within the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster.
- Oversees and directs the OSISA response to programme opportunities in the region.
- Oversees the development of sustainable long- term research initiatives to support OSISA’s work in the relevant cluster area.
- Facilitates the research and investigation necessary to maximise programme development and/or initiation within the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster. Oversees programme formulation.
- Oversees programme implementation including development of programme strategies, budgets, and work plans.
- Working closely with other Cluster Team Leaders, the Team Leader will identify emerging trends and establish thought leadership, while managing the integration of all programmes within the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster and across the organization.
- Oversees the financial and administrative management functions of programmes within the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster.
- Ensures compilation of budgets in accordance with budget policy and regulations.
- Ensures the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster’s compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Ensures that programme management and reporting frameworks and support tools are in place to consistently and accurately report on programmes.
- Regularly analyse the impact of programmes across the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster and make recommendations to improve where required.
- Ensures learnings within and across programme units contained in the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster.
- Conducts suitable and sufficient risk assessments for programmes in the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster, record the findings and recommend initiatives to reduce risk.
- Supporting the Grants office, the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster Team Leader will oversee the management and tracking of grants as well as the compliance and reporting requirements.
- Ensures capacity building of grantees to become effective in managing their own grants.
- Oversees the timely and accurate financial and narrative reporting from grantees.
- Ensures the accurate and effective use of the Serenic Financial Management System.
Communication and Advocacy
- Where required serves as a spokesperson for the organization in dealing with external stakeholders on thematic issues relating to his/her programme.
- Ensures regular and efficient communication within the Human Rights, Access to Justice & Rule of Law Cluster.
Work Environment and Staff Development
- Ensures a conducive working environment which promotes staff development, wellbeing, and productivity as well as provides management and supervision of staff under the cluster, including relevant programme staff in Country Offices.
- Promotes teamwork, collegiality and effective communication within and between programmes and operational units.
- Integrates the organisational values into the performance of tasks within and across programmes.
- Ensures consistent standards of excellence within the programme.
Leading & Decisiveness, Results Focus, Management, and Communication & Collaboration.
- A Masters Degree in Social Science, Law, Human Rights or related fields.
- At least 7 to 10 years’ experience in leading programmes related to democracy promotion and good governance, human rights, rule of law, socio-economic development and access to justice in a multilateral, intergovernmental, civil society or regional organization setting.
- Experience in leading programmes in at least two thematic programme areas.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully building and leading teams.
Interested applicants should forward a one-page cover letter and detailed CV to email@example.com with the relevant position as the subject heading.
Closing date for submission is 05 July 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive a response. OSISA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Building vibrant and tolerant democracies.