Advert for Programme Manager – Education
OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. Our vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions, and practices of an open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA’s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 11 southern African countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these eleven countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA seeks to recruit for the following key position:
Programme Manager – Education
The Programme Manager: Education – ESJ will be responsible for the planning, management and implementation of Education within the Economic Social Justice cluster. S/he will be required to identify opportunities for grantmaking within the Economic Justice programme and manage the provision of grants to key national and regional partners. He/she will play a strong role in facilitating networks amongst OSISA partners within the Economic Justice Programme and in convening dialogue and debate on issues relevant to OSISA’s overall mandate.
- Actively identifies opportunities within the programme that are aligned to the OSISA strategy.
- Works with the Team Leader Economic Social Justice Cluster to develop the strategy, work plan and budget for the relevant programme portfolio.
- Initiates and facilitates research and knowledge necessary to maximise programme development and/or initiation.
- Collaborates closely with programme staff within the cluster and other OSF Foundations and networks in initiating and developing programmes.
- Working closely with other programme managers, the programme manager will ensure the integration of his/her programme within the cluster and across the organization.
- Oversees the financial and administrative management functions of the programme.
- Ensures compilation of budgets in accordance with budget policy and regulations.
- Ensures the programme’s compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Ensures joint and collaborative work with other programmes to ensure maximum impact from OSISA programmes.
- Stays updated with developments in the sector throughout the region and globally and participates in strategic discussions at the regional and global levels in order to keep informed of issues, concerns, and needs.
- Continuously monitors and measures the impact of the programme against objectives set and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Coordinates and cooperates with programme partners and grants beneficiaries.
- Liaises with relevant staff members of OSISA in the region to promote coordination and synergy.
- Works with the Senior Grants & Partnerships Manager to identify and manage pre and post-award compliance issues as well as reporting requirements.
- Responsible for due diligence, managing and tracking grants within his/her portfolio.
- Actively develops strategies to strengthen the capacity of grantees to become more effective and accountable in managing grants.
- In collaboration with the Senior Strategy, Accountability & Learning Manager, develops a monitoring and evaluation plan for his/her programme.
- Ensures timely and accurate financial and narrative reporting from grantees.
- Develops competency and technical understanding of the use of the in-house Financial Management System (Serenic Navigator).
Communication and Advocacy
- Identifies key opportunities for the promotion of OSISA ideals.
- Working closely with the Team Leader Economic Social Justice Cluster and the Communications Manager develops advocacy initiatives related to programme issues at the regional and national level.
- Collaborates with the communications unit to promote and communicate programme activities.
- Ensures open and effective communication with other programmes and across the organisations.
Planning & Organising, Interpersonal Skills, Results Focus, and Collaboration.
- A Master’s Degree in Social Science, Development or field related to the Inclusive Access to Education programme.
- At least 5 to 7 years’ experience working as Programme Manager in Southern Africa in a bilateral, multilateral, civil society, regional organisation setting.
Interested applicants should forward a one-page cover letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the relevant position as the subject heading.
Closing date for submission is 12 July 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive a response. OSISA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Building vibrant and tolerant democracies.