[COME WORK WITH US]: Content Officer: Communications Unit
OSISA is an African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance across southern Africa. Our vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA’s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in eleven (11) southern African countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. We work differently in each of these eleven countries, according to local demands.
OSISA seeks to recruit for the following key position:
Consultant – Content Officer
Closing date: 29 January 2021
Country: South Africa
City: Johannesburg/ Remote until July 2021
Job years of experience: 1.5 -2.5 years
Job type: Consultancy
Duration: March 2021 to February 2022
The Content Officer will work closely with the Communications Manager to develop various multimedia content in line with the OSISA communications strategy. The incumbent will also assist in handling OSISA’s online presence (website, social media and other digital platforms). Finally, the incumbent will be expected to provide key support in creating innovative communication solutions within the OSISA Innovation Lab, in line with our overall organisational strategy.
Terms of Reference / Key Tasks and Deliverables
- Content Development (English, French* & Portuguese*): Multimedia stories, podcasts, social media posts, blog posts, infographics, animations, short films and script-writing. To also manage live online events;
- Social Media and Online Engagement: Develop and schedule posts; Generate monitoring reports; data aggregation; develop campaign concepts; Moderate comments/discussions;
- Content Management: Perform regular Website updates (WordPress), generate quarterly reports (analytics), performs systematic archiving and information library management (central and distributed databases).
- Other Support: Technical on-location assistance (documentary filmmaking, exhibitions, public events etc.); equipment management (in-house and out-of-office); training/workshop planning; OSISA Innovation Lab concepts and experiments.
- Proven competence in content development (especially digital), writing, filmmaking, documentary photography, advertising, graphic design, fine art, and/or Digital Marketing;
- Demonstrated expertise in managing websites, managing multiple social media platforms (including interactive chat channels), print and digital publishing;
- A combination of brand management skills and human rights advocacy (campaigning, for example) is a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge and understanding of evolving technologies in Africa (Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence, Mobile Money etc.) is highly desirable.
**OSISA works in the Angola, DRC, Madagascar and Mozambique. Some of the content will be in French and Portuguese. Fluency in at least one of these languages is highly advantageous.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A diploma/degree in Graphic Design/Filmmaking/Photography/Fine Art/Advertising/Animation/Marketing/Online Journalism/Multimedia/Digital Communications or other equivalent qualification;
- At least 2–3 years’ experience in the field of Content Development, Graphic Design, Digital Marketing/Campaigning, Advertising, Fine Art, or other creative industries (esp. multimedia publishing) is desirable;
- The suitable candidate should be fluent in English. Fluency in either French or Portuguese is an advantage.
Please email applications consisting of a 1-page cover letter, portfolio of relevant work (can be a link(s)) and CV. Email: email@example.com with the subject line: Application: Content Officer
Closing date for submission is 13:00hrs (SAST) on 29 January 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive a response. OSISA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Building vibrant and tolerant democracies