COME WORK WITH US: Programme Manager: Women’s Rights
OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. Our vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA’s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 11 southern African countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these eleven countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA seeks to recruit for the following key position:
Senior Programme Manager: Women’s Rights
The Programme Manager: Women’s Rights will be responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the Women’s Rights programme within OSISA structures and the clusters. S/he will be required to identify opportunities for grant-making within the Women’s Rights programme and manage the provision of grants to key national and regional partners. S/he will play a strong role in facilitating networks and programming amongst OSISA partners within the Women’s Rights Programme and Clusters, and in convening dialogue and debate on issues relevant to OSISA’s overall mandate. The Programme Manager: Women’s Rights will play a key role in building strategic partnerships with external and internal stakeholders. S/he will be responsible for overseeing and managing staff within the programme unit. The incumbent will oversee the management of a portfolio of grants within her/his unit, ensuring adherence to policies and procedures. S/he will ensure integration and synergies within and across programmes. S/he will oversee the development and implementation Women’s Rights strategies and work plans. S/he will oversee the management and delivery Women’s Rights budget. The incumbent will also be responsible for managing shared frameworks relevant to the unit.
- Actively identifies opportunities within the programme that are aligned to the OSISA strategy;
- Works with Team Leaders to develop the strategy, work plan and budget for the relevant programme portfolio;
- Initiates and facilitates research and knowledge necessary to maximise programme development and/or initiation; and
- Collaborates closely with clusters and other OSF Foundations and networks in initiating and developing programmes.
- Working closely with other programme managers, the senior programme manager will ensure the integration of her/his programme within the programme unit and across the organization;
- Oversees the financial and administrative management functions of the programme;
- Ensures compilation of budgets in accordance with budget policy and regulations; and
- Ensures the programme’s compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Ensures joint and collaborative work with other programmes to ensure maximum impact from OSISA programmes;
- Stays updated with developments in the sector throughout the region and globally and participates in strategic discussions at the regional and global levels in order to keep informed of issues, concerns and needs;
- Continuously monitors and measures the impact of the programme against objectives set and makes recommendations for improvement;
- Coordinates and cooperates with programme partners and grants beneficiaries; and
- Liaises with relevant OSISA staff members across the region to promote coordination and synergy.
- Works with the Senior Grants and Partnership Manager to identify and manage pre and post award compliance issues as well as reporting requirements;
- Responsible for due diligence, managing and tracking grants within her/his portfolio;
- Actively develops strategies to strengthen the capacity of grantees to become more effective and accountable in managing grants;
- In collaboration with the Senior Strategy, Accountability & Learning Manager, develops a monitoring and evaluation plan for her/his programme;
- Ensures timely and accurate financial and narrative reporting from grantees; and
- Develops competency and technical understanding on the use of grant management systems.
Communication and Advocacy
- Identifies key opportunities for the promotion of OSISA ideals;
- Working closely Team Leaders and the Communications Manager, develops advocacy initiatives related to programme issues at regional and national level;
- Collaborates with the Communications Unit to promote and communicate programme activities; and
- Ensures open and effective communication with other programmes and across the organisations.
Work Environment and Staff Development
- Ensures a conducive working environment which promotes staff development, wellbeing and productivity;
- Promotes teamwork, collegiality and effective communication within and between programmes and operational units. Integrates the organizational values into the performance of tasks within and across programmes; and
- Ensures consistent standards of excellence within the programme.
Planning and Organising, Interpersonal Skills, Results Focus, and Collaboration.
- A Masters Degree in Social Science, Development or field related to the Women’s Rights programme.
- At least five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience working as Programme Manager within Southern Africa in a bilateral, multilateral, civil society, regional organisation setting.
Interested applicants should forward a one-page cover letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the relevant position as the subject heading.
Closing date for submission is 13 August 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive a response. OSISA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Building vibrant and tolerant democracies.